No homeowner wants to hear that they have mold in their home, but unfortunately, it is a lot more common than you might think. Mold spores are all around us, and all they need is the right environment to start growing. Mold is a fungus, and it usually grows best in humid, dark, poorly-ventilated areas. You might have seen it growing on leftovers in the fridge, or on the walls of your home, but are you aware of how dangerous it can be?

As with many health hazards, the effect mold has on you will depend on your health and pre-existing conditions. Mold can cause a wide array of ill effects ranging from headaches and itchy throat to serious asthma attacks.

Specialized equipment and expertise are necessary for mold inspections and remediation. This makes removing mold and repairing the damage a job that you will need a professional to help you with. Here are a few points to keep in mind to ensure that mold is dealt with in a safe manner.

  • It’s important to visually inspect any area that appears to have mold growth as well as the surroundings. Finding all potential sources of mold is critical and requires a thorough inspection.
  • In addition to the obvious water damage, there could be secondary areas that aren’t as apparent where water intrusion has happened.
  • When buying a new home, you can’t know what happened when the previous tenants lived there. Maybe there was a flooded toilet or a burst pipe leaving behind water in areas that are out of sight. It’s important to inspect the house for mold when purchasing a home.
  • Due to a lack of proper air circulation, an inhabited home can develop mold growth. If a house has been closed up for an extended period of time, it is even more susceptible to mold growth.
  • Ensuring mold issues have been fixed might require a follow-up inspection. Whenever you have musky smells in your home, you should get it checked as soon as possible.
error: Content is protected !!